Why do girls have facial hair like a mustache and a beard?
Girl’s facial hair:
Excessive growth of thick hair is also termed as Hirsutism. Hirsutism is seen rarely in women and is basically taken as a problem for the women but is normal for an Adult man. The hair development in hirsutism is run of the mill of male hair development designs, influencing the face (moustache or whiskers), chest, guts or back. While most ladies may have fine hair on these parts of the body. In hirsutism, the sort of hair development is generally connected with androgenic hair development (hair because of elevated amounts of male hormones, androgen).
Hair development and circulation may change among various regions of India yet thick female facial hair and the nearness of a noticeable mustache or whiskers in ladies are thought to be unique and are not accepted by all in India. Hair development is basically subject to the sex hormones, androgen, and estrogen. Androgen, similar to testosterone i.e male sex hormones, are typically in charge of thicker hair while the female sex hormones like estrogen are in charge of fine hair. The nearness and dissemination of body hair are typically noted at adolescence and keeps on developing till early adulthood. This kind of hair, after the beginning of adolescence, is known as terminal hair contrasted with the fine fleece hair (vellus hair) exhibit in early youth (Puberty). Excessive androgenic hair growth in adolescence phase can affect both boys and girls. Generally, excessive androgenic hair growth is considered to be normal for a grownup adult whereas, in case of women, it’s not considered to be normal and there are different ways suggested in order to suppress the excessive androgen secretion in the body.
Causes of Facial hairs in Women:
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is the most common cause of Facial hairs in Women. The growth of thick female facial and body hair occurs due to the increased production of androgen by the ovaries.
- Adrenal disorders may cause the adrenal cortex to increase its production of androgens (male sex hormones).
- Genes from the family members.
- Certain drugs may increase androgen levels in the blood, particularly anabolic steroids used by athletes and body builders, high progesterone contraceptives, drugs for endometriosis and certain hormone replacement therapies.
- Hormone changes in menopause and pregnancy may result in thick facial hairs.
- Hormone production due to tumors, sometimes outside of the sex glands, can cause the production of hormones or hormone like substances that may stimulate thick hair growth.
- Disorders of the endocrine glands, affecting the pituitary gland, thyroid gland and pancreas affect androgen levels thereby resulting in the development of facial hairs.
It is to be noted that both boys and girls possess both male hormones (androgen) and female hormones (estrogens), except the fact in boys, the androgen dominates and in girls, the estrogens dominate. Both these hormones start secreting in the body at the onset of puberty and the body takes some time to sort the levels of respective hormones. In girls, it is possible that the level of androgen does not come down, due to which some of the male attributes like developing facial hair can occur. It can be an embarrassing one for girls, but the happy news is that it can be decreased through certain cosmetic treatments and medical treatments, which will reverse and reduce the hormone levels of androgen in the girls.
Some treatments for androgenic hairs in women are listed below:
- Plucking or ‘tweezing’ with hair tweezers
- Hair removal or depilatory creams
- Bleaching to blend the colour of the hair with the natural skin pigmentation
- Shaving (Not recommended)
- Laser hair removal
All the listed solutions to get rid of androgenic hairs are temporary solutions and they will/may have to be repeated in some intervals. Electrolysis and the laser removal technique of the androgenic hairs are also not the permanent solution to get rid of the androgenic hairs; however this technique reduces the thickness of the hairs which re-grows after sometimes. Also, before implementing/using any of the above mentioned techniques, kindly be sure that you are not allergic to any skin related things, or you should be careful before undergoing any treatments as it may result in to some unwanted problems/skin infections.